Author, stuntman and the UK’s funniest (and quite possibly only) ‘stand-up’ climber Andy Kirkpatrick is back on UK stages, bringing his new 'Psychovertical: A Higher Education' tour to theatres across the UK, presented by adventure-based speakers specialists, Speakers from the Edge in association with Montane.
A unique story teller and comedian, Andy climbs in some of the most inhospitable places on earth, from Greenland to Alaska, Patagonia to Antarctica. A natural performer as the UK’s only ‘stand-up mountaineer’, Andy is one of Britain’s most prolific - and funniest - climbers, with a desire for climbing in extreme conditions.
In Psychovertical: A Higher Education, Andy revisits the concept of his first theatre tour, Psychovertical (2007), looking back with over a decade’s more experience and the benefit of hindsight. This new show also coincides with the recent release of the Psycho Vertical BANFF award-winning film and the forthcoming book, A Higher Education. As with all of Andy’s shows, Psychovertical: A Higher Education is a mash up of thoughts and experiences, good times and bad, laughter and maybe tears, but certainly out of this world.
Andy is a hugely popular and accomplished story-teller, as comfortable on stage as he is lashed to an ice-clad mountain in a 100mph storm. A Montane-sponsored athlete, Andy has previously funded his bizarrely dangerous expeditions by working as a Film & TV Stunt Safety Adviser, most notably with Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and for the BBC’s Dalziel & Pascoe. Andy has also enjoyed the success of his books, most notably Psychovertical and Cold Wars, both of which won the Boardman Tasker Prize.
- Fri 2nd - POOLE, Lighthouse, 01202 280000, www.lighthousepoole.co.uk
- Tues 6 - MILTON KEYNES, ChrysalisMK, 01908 235505, www.chrysalismk.co.uk
- Wed 7 - ANDOVER, The Lights, 01264 368368, www.thelights.org.uk
- Thurs 8 - EXETER, Northcott Theatre, 01392 726363, www.exeternorthcott.co.uk
- Fri 9 - FALMOUTH, Princess Pavilion, 01326 211222, www.bettervenues.org.uk
- Sat 10 - ABERYSTWYTH, Arts Centre, 01970 623232, www.aberystwythartscentre.co.uk
- Sun 11 - CAERNARFON, Galeri Theatr, 01286 685250, www.galericaernarfon.com
- Mon 12 - BRECON, Theatr Brycheiniog, 01874 611622, www.brycheiniog.co.uk
- Tues 13 - MALVERN, Malvern Theatres, 01684 892277, www.malvern-theatres.co.uk
- Wed 14 - CHESTER, Storyhouse, 01244 409113, www.storyhouse.com
- Sun 18 - LINCOLN, New Theatre Royal, 01522 519999, www.newtheatreroyallincoln.co.uk
- Mon 19 - GATESHEAD, Sage, 0191 443 4661, www.sagegateshead.com
- Wed 21 - LEEDS, The Carriageworks, 0113 376 0318, www.carriageworkstheatre.co.uk
- Sat 24 - DERBY, Guildhall, 01332 255800, www.derbylive.co.uk
Fri 2 - JERSEY, Jersey Opera House, 01534 511115, www.jerseyoperahouse.co.uk
Sun 4 - CHESTERFIELD, The Winding Wheel, 01246 345222, www.chesterfieldtheatres.co.uk
Mon 5 - PENRITH, Rheged Centre, 01768 868000, www.rheged.com
Wed 7 - OBAN, Corran Halls, 01546 605522, www.argyll-bute.gov.uk
Thurs 8 - GLASGOW, Drygate, www.drygate.com
Sat 10 - ABERDEEN, Lemon Tree, 01224 641122, www.aberdeenperformingarts.com
Sun 11 - INVERNESS, Eden Court, 01463 234234, www.eden-court.co.uk
Mon 12 - SALFORD, The Lowry, 08432 086000, www.thelowry.com
Tues 13 - LANCASTER, Dukes Theatre, 01524 598500, www.dukes-lancaster.org
Wed 14 - RADLETT, Radlett Centre, 01923 859291, www.radlettcentre.co.uk
Thurs 15 - HORSHAM, The Capitol, 01403 750220, www.thecapitolhorsham.com
Fri 16 - CHELMSFORD, Civic Theatre, 01245 606505, www.chelmsford.gov.uk/theatres
Tues 20 - CHELTENHAM, Town Hall, 08445 762210, www.cheltenhamtownhall.org.uk
To book tickets, or for further details, visit www.speakersfromtheedge.com. Warning: this show is likely to contain very strong language.