In the November issue of Trail magazine (guest edited by the Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue Team)...
Trail readers out there!
The Trail team are a hardworking bunch, but for this issue they took a bit of a breather and passed some of the work over to others. As well as getting the Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue Team to edit the mag, they also roped in several readers to help fill the pages.
- Trail's new Snowdonia 'haute route' - Trail readers Tim Major, Heather Shand and Ian Thornton test out a new 6 day route around the Snowdon massif. Heather and Tim put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) to write this article, while Ian provided the photos.
- Your interview - a previous online survey saw Trail readers vote for who they would like to interview. The winner by some margin was Sir Chris Bonington. Read the questions that Trail readers put to the legendary mountaineer and, of course, the fascinating answers he gave.
- Your choices - the results of on-going polls and surveys are published here, including who you'd most like to share a walk with, your favourite National Park, your preferred post walk tipple and where you'd build a new mountain!
- Your suggestions - Features Editor Phoebe Smith headed to the Southern Uplands of Scotland to explore an area she'd never visited before. Why? Because Trail reader Nathan Adam said she should!
Get the most out of your time in the hills by ensuring you have the relevant know-how.
- Master your map - It might seem obvious, but if you can't find your way around a map, how will you manage in the hills? Make a map your new foldable friend with this handy guide.
- Take a great tent night-photo - Many walkers are also pretty decent photographers - the scenery helps! Learn how to take a classic 'glowing tent' shot to add to your slideshow.
- Appropriate packing - It can be difficult to know what to take or what to leave behind, depending on the length of your trek. Let trail help you out with some useful suggestions and packing techniques.
November's issue of Trail is practically bursting with gear reviews. Think that's an over statement? This is what you'll find:
- Snugpak Scorpion tent
- Geigerrig Rig 1600 hydration pack
- £175-250 Hillwalking jackets group test
- £275-400 Winter jackets group test
- Buyer's guide to compasses
- Used and abused: Team Trail's kit
Plus, the 2011 Winter Gear Guide in conjunction with Country Walking, with reviews of jackets, boots, rucksacks, base-layers accessories and hardwear.
Also in November's Trail
- Reader pics and letters
- George Band remembered
- Shipton's Yeti
- Liathach Torridon: dream peak
- Trail's Tall Tale
and much more.
ALL IN NOVEMBER'S TRAIL MAGAZINE - OUT NOW!