Community

You are in... Forums > GENERAL FORUM > Outdoor chat > Walking Coast to Coast



JennyCW

Joined:

Feb 12

Posts: 1

JennyCW says:

Walking Coast to Coast

We're working on a big feature about Wainwright's Coast to Coast for Country Walking and would love to hear from anyone who has walked it. What was your single most memorable moment? And what's your best tip for someone planning their walk?

Our magic moment was hitting the top of Kidsty Pike in the Lake District. The sun was shining, sky was blue, we could see all of the Lakeland fells we'd walked past on one side, and out across the plain to the Pennines and the route to come on the other. Spotting the North Sea for the first time and realising we really had walked right across the nation was pretty special too.

And our tip? Pack Vaseline and slather it on your feet regularly. It works miracles preventing blisters on toes that like to rub together.

How about you?


 
simonp820

Joined:

Jun 11

Posts: 98

simonp820 says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

Looking forward to the article. For me I'd like to know how to fight the 'boredom'. I walked the Cotswold Way a few weeks ago and found it thoroughly depressing! Field after field, forest after forest :(

cosmic

Joined:

Nov 06

Posts: 244

cosmic says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

Simon.  Walking the C2C is guaranteed not boring, every step is sheer bliss, we were very sad when it ended.

Jenny. Our highlight was sitting on Helm Crag and watching a RAF Tornado fly past below our feet. Our tip would be to make a early start each day and then you will get the time to have a look round some of the fabulous places that you pass through. Agree with the Vaselene tip.

Cosmic.

http://40swalkersnorth.ning.com/
DarkSideOfTheMoon

Joined:

Feb 12

Posts: 3

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

 Haha, I'm new to this site and I just posted a topic about me planning on doing it, possibly going to get a bit of pack rafting in, but may not. Would especially love to hear any planning tips etc. I'm still looking for a walking buddy so I'm waiting a few weeks before I start planning, but if it doesn't come about I'll lone wolf it no probs. :) 

People say I'm crazy. I say, crazy is wasting your life NOT being crazy!
billymac

Joined:

Mar 10

Posts: 13

billymac says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

Tape your feet with Zinc oxide tape,available from most chemists.I did it in 2006 in 10 days. Plenty of ups and downs!

billymac
JellyBelly

Joined:

Dec 11

Posts: 30

JellyBelly says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

DarkSideOfTheMoon said:

 Haha, I'm new to this site and I just posted a topic about me planning on doing it, possibly going to get a bit of pack rafting in, but may not. Would especially love to hear any planning tips etc. I'm still looking for a walking buddy so I'm waiting a few weeks before I start planning, but if it doesn't come about I'll lone wolf it no probs. :) 

when are you doingit ?   i have always wanted to but not by myself
 

paul_brelsford

Joined:

Mar 07

Posts: 248

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

Never done it - but enjoying the articles

foxymoon

Joined:

Mar 07

Posts: 35

foxymoon says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

Hard to say, that I've done the coast to coast now 5 times and a few half crossing besides that. I think, the best moment, when I climbed upto Haystacks from Scarth Gap pass on a very hot clear day in May.

 

My best tip is carry plenty of liquid and snacks for there are not many shops on the route. 

bikerchic

Joined:

Nov 07

Posts: 8

bikerchic says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

cosmic said:

Simon.  Walking the C2C is guaranteed not boring, every step is sheer bliss, we were very sad when it ended.

Jenny. Our highlight was sitting on Helm Crag and watching a RAF Tornado fly past below our feet. Our tip would be to make a early start each day and then you will get the time to have a look round some of the fabulous places that you pass through. Agree with the Vaselene tip.

Cosmic.  

wow i would have loved to see that, a raf tornado flying by so close!!!!!!!!!!

------ End Quote ------

bikerchic

Joined:

Nov 07

Posts: 8

bikerchic says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

JellyBelly said:
DarkSideOfTheMoon said:

 Haha, I'm new to this site and I just posted a topic about me planning on doing it, possibly going to get a bit of pack rafting in, but may not. Would especially love to hear any planning tips etc. I'm still looking for a walking buddy so I'm waiting a few weeks before I start planning, but if it doesn't come about I'll lone wolf it no probs. :) 

when are you doingit ?   i have always wanted to but not by myself

when do you plan on walking it, which month, i would rather have a buddy to walk with as two heads are better than one
 

------ End Quote ------

HappyBoots

Joined:

Oct 10

Posts: 5

HappyBoots says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

Sounds like a  lively topic, definitely have to make a plan, nothing better that watching the jets pass below you and the birds soar above you.. That was on Loughrigg!

JellyBelly

Joined:

Dec 11

Posts: 30

JellyBelly says:

RE: Walking Coast to Coast

bikerchic said:
JellyBelly said:
DarkSideOfTheMoon said:

 Haha, I'm new to this site and I just posted a topic about me planning on doing it, possibly going to get a bit of pack rafting in, but may not. Would especially love to hear any planning tips etc. I'm still looking for a walking buddy so I'm waiting a few weeks before I start planning, but if it doesn't come about I'll lone wolf it no probs. :) 

when are you doingit ?   i have always wanted to but not by myself

when do you plan on walking it, which month, i would rather have a buddy to walk with as two heads are better than one
 

------ End Quote ------

got a few weeks off in either may  june or august   it maybe the inspiration to do the pennine  i just fear the unknown and feel if i was with some like minded person who can help and share the experience it would be helpful

 

how about yourself 
 

Page

Post a message in Outdoor chat

To post a reply to this topic, please Log In.

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. Read full terms of use